Monday, May 28, 2012

HONGERA!!!!

The word "pole" is heard often over here in Tanzania. If you live here you will hear it several times a day. It means sorry, not "excuse me, I'm sorry I did that" but "I'm sorry for you". I sorry for your loss, I'm sorry that you are sick, I'm sorry that you're late, tired, or upset and most importantly, I'm sorry that you have to work. As I walk up the hill towards our workshop I will hear it several times. They are sorry for me because I am walking, yep, just walking! If you are moving in this country, if you are not sitting idle relaxing with friends and family then you will receive a "Pole" for your troubles. Pole is often affiliated with work so our women expect to hear it from me when I greet them in the morning. I am expected to say "Pole" upon entering each morning. This is telling them that I am sorry they must work, that I am sorry they have a job. This seemed quite ridiculous to me since I have been working so hard to create jobs for them. Since I wake up each morning and go to bed each night thinking of ways to sell our sandals and keep them employed. Since I plan day after day the best way to empower them and transform their lives into responsible business women and to help them change their future and the future of their children. No! Pole will just not do. So instead I greet them each morning with Hongera!!! Hongera is Congratulations!!!! Congratulations that you are working, that you have a job and that you are receiving a steady income. It makes them laugh since it goes against their traditions. They understand what I am trying to say but to them I should still feel very sorry for them. I just can't bring myself to very bad for a person who is finally pulling themselves out of poverty. In a country where most people live off of less then $2 a day shouldn't we be congratulating them more for their efforts rather then feeling sorry for them?

No comments:

Post a Comment